12 February 2010

Dinner and drawing.

IMG_3212 2

IMG_3229

IMG_3226

IMG_3225


A deviation from the norm today; a photo with food as the subject. Let me tell you, this is one of the best dinner combinations I have tried as a person with a non-dairy, meat-free (almost) diet. It consists of roasted brussel sprouts (a little oil, salt and pepper, 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, stirring once midway through cooking time), Vegetarian sloppy joe mix (I use fantastic brand, and I follow the recipe for "Mama's Sloppy Joes" which is the following (from their website :

1 package Fantastic World FoodsTM Sloppy Joe Mix
1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
½ medium white onion, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh basil (I didn't have any so this ingredient was omitted)
¼ cup diced tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers from Whole Foods)
2 Tbsp Woodstock Farms® Organic Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp chili powder (I used 1 Tbsp.)

1. Prepare Fantastic World Foods Sloppy Joe Mix according to package instructions. 2. In a sauté pan, heat 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil. 3. Add chopped onion and let caramelize for approximately 2 minutes at medium heat. 4. Add brown sugar, chili powder, basil, and prepared Fantastic World Foods Sloppy Joe Mix. 5. Place mixture on buns of your choice.

We didn't use typical buns as they contain dairy, so we used soft tortillas. So, so good.

The final piece to this meal was vegan potato salad. I simply used small baby red skin potatoes that I parboiled for 10 minutes. In a bowl I mixed 1/2 cup veganaise, 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp (appx) sugar and salt and pepper. I also cut up part of a red onion and 2 stalks of celery. Mix all ingredients together and let sit in the refrigerator for 4 or 5 hours, or overnight.

So that's my spiel on the food that makes my stomach growl, in a good way. On to the drawings:

I have recently established a routine for myself to follow daily. I think I have discovered I work best with structure (as most humans do, I assume) and in order for me to be successful I have to chart out what my day should look like so that I actually get things done.

So far, it is working out well. The above is what drawings I did this morning. Most of what I work on is based off of photographs I have taken, but I want to try to get away from that and make art that is more imagination-based.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there - what a yummy post! Great idea about the soft tortilla - that sounds good. And those brussel sprouts are so very tasty too. I love your drawing of the sidewalk - great composition and I love the "weeds".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sara!! The tortilla is really good. Everything was yummy!! Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...